Friday, August 7, 2009

Adventures in Gluten Free Cooking... fried chicken

Yeh, I'm a southern girl at the core. I hesitate to admit it and I think my husband is going to pass out if he reads that, but I was raised by southern parents with southern values and southern food. When we first decided to go gluten and casein free for our son, while my husband's first concern was what to do about pizza, mine was fried chicken.. LOL. Ironic considering that we are healthy eaters and don't even cook much fried food, but every once in a while some friend chicken just needs to be made, ya know? So, I searched a little on the web for recipes and didn't like any of them... so I said "forget it, I've known how to cook my own for a long time.. I can figure this out." I started thinking about how I could do it. I had a bag of Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour. Perfect. I had Rice Milk. That will work b/c I didn't really want to do eggs even though we tolerate them just fine. And I have a cabinet full of spices (McCormick!). Heck yeh, we can do this!!! So here is what I did:

5 boneless chicken breasts (I'm sure you can use bone in or thighs or whatever, but we prefer breast)
2 cup All Purpose Flour
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp cajun seasoning
1 tsp salt
1 cup rice milk
Olive oil (EVOO or Light)

I took the thawed chicken and soaked it in the rice milk. I should have soaked it longer, so I'd recommend soaking it in the rice milk for at least an hour in the fridge.

1 hr later or whenever you come back, Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Mix spices into flour in a medium sized bowl.

Get a large fry pan and fill to about 1/2- 1 in of olive oil and place over medium high heat.

When you take the chicken out, dredge it in the flour mixture and place into pan to fry, turning somewhat frequently as the color changes. Once the flour mixture starts to brown, take chicken out and place in baking dish. Bake chicken at 450 for about 18 minutes or until done all through (depending on how long you left it in the fry pan).

Serve quickly with yummy sides :-). We did sweet potato fries and green beans. YUMMO!!! All the kids gobbled up their dinner and even my husband was impressed with my fine culinary skills. Yeh, I rock. It didn't look pretty so I didn't take pics, but next time I'll know more what I'm doing and maybe I can make it look as good as it tasted.. lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment