Friday, September 4, 2009

Adventures in Gluten Free cooking: first attempt at cupcakes

Okay, I never claimed to be good at baking. In fact, I have long known that I suck.. but this time it was not even the baking part that got me. Actually, the cake part turned out pretty darn good if I do say so myself. They even tasted pretty good. I got the Glutino Decedant Chocolate Cake mix... and I did it right! Go me! But then I attempted frosting. Oh, the frosting. I bought Cherrybrook Farms and it looked easy enough. Just a simple mix. Even my non baking self can figure out a MIX, right? HA! First of all, no where in my area sells vegan sticks of butter. NO WHERE. I can get TUBS anywhere.. but NO sticks. Well, I figured there was really no difference, so what the heck. HAHAHAHAHA. I ended up with LIQUID icing. Um, I don't think that is going to work. So, we set out after our supper of gluten free spaghetti with ground turkey meat sauce to go to the local health food store looking for some premade icing. Can't screw it up if someone else made it! Welllllll, the didn't carry it. The Whole Foods Market in my MOM's town has it, but that's an hour away and the party is tomorrow. So, I find this stuff called Fast and Fresh. It's Dairy free and Gluten free icing! YEA! just pop it in the microwave and that's it!!! I can do that!! Go me!

So I get home and follow the directions. I pull it out of the microwave and... uhoh.. it's like a liquid. This can't be good. So I follow the directions and pour (yes, I said pour) it on the cupcakes. Um, it went right down the sides and formed a thin layer on the top of the cupcakes. I now have the ugliest cupcakes ever with liquid icing on top that dried later. Cute. Next time, I'll get the premade kind from Cherrybrook Farm. I don't bake.

No comments:

Post a Comment