Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Adventures in Gluten Free Cooking... Gluten free/Casein free Spaghetti and Meatballs!

My kids LOVE spaghetti and meatballs. I usually avoid making meatballs and just do meat sauce, but they were insistant that we needed meatBALLS this time and nothing else would work. So, I made some meatballs... and much to my surprise, they were good! I did do them kinda the "easy" way but they were so yummy and even my husband liked them. Here is what I did:

-1lb lean groud beef or turkey
-1/2 cup gluten free bread crumbs of some kind (this time I used some broken rice bread pieces that I had saved, toasted them, and ground them in the food processor.. turned out perfect!!! I've also used brown rice cereal done the same way... keep in mind that Rice Krispies are NOT gluten free!!!)
-2 tbsp gluten free ketchup (like Anne's Organic)
-2 tsp garlic powder
-1 large egg
-1/2 medium onion, chopped (food processor would be great)
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning mix
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp basalmic vinegar
- red pepper flakes to taste for a little extra kick (optional!)
- some olive oil for the hands

First I preheated the oven to 350. Then I lined the cookie sheet with wax paper.

mix all ingredients together in a big bowl :-) Don't over mix though... just so everything is mixed together.

Roll into balls a little smaller than a golf ball. Place on cookie sheet to bake. They will take about 20 minutes to cook.. longer for larger balls.


While those are cooking, I put some rice spaghetti noodles on to cook.

For sauce, I got a large can of tomato sauce, a medium sized can of Italian stewed tomatoes, and a small can of tomato paste. I mixed all of those together, chopped up the other half of the onion I had used earlier, and put it in the sauce to boil. Seasoned with garlic, italian seasoning, pepper, salt, and bay leaves and left it on to cook until everything else was ready.

My kids all gobbled it down.. even the little one and she's picky! :-) And I loved it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment